The BS in Bioengineering is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, www.abet.org.
Program Educational Objectives
Program educational objectives describe what graduates are expected to attain within a few years after graduation. The program educational objectives of the BS in bioengineering program are to prepare graduates to:
- Be technically proficient, innovative, and rigorous problem solvers who excel in the professional practice of engineering while maintaining a high standard of professional and ethical responsibility.
- Be multifaceted and able to work with and demonstrate leadership in multidisciplinary teams.
- Be able to pursue advanced studies in engineering, medicine, and other fields that leverage their technical and problem-solving skills.
The bioengineering program has documented student outcomes that support the program educational objectives. Attainment of these outcomes prepares graduates to enter the professional practice of engineering.
Student outcomes are outcomes (1) through (7):
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies.
Student Enrollment and Graduation Data
Student enrollment and graduation data for this program are posted here.
Notice to students pursuing programs that may lead to a professional license or certification required for employment.
The U.S. Department of Education regulation, 34 CFR 668.43 (a) (5) (v), requires an institution to disclose whether a particular program’s curriculum offered by the institution will fulfill educational requirements for licensure or certification for each state. All states require applicants for professional engineering licensure to hold a degree from an engineering program that is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) of ABET. Refer to the Professional Licensure Information for all states, where information is available.
Students should contact the appropriate state licensing agency in their state or the state where they intend to work to seek the most up-to-date information about state licensure/certification requirements before beginning the program.