BioE Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Department of Bioengineering (BioE) Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) Committee works to promote and enhance an open environment for everyone in our Bioengineering Department community, with the idea that enhancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging is not a precise target, but a continuous process. Our mission has two facets: external and internal facing. Our external facing mission is to acknowledge societal diversity, equity, and inclusion issues so that we can prepare our students to thrive as leaders for equitable and just bioengineering solutions in a diverse society and global community. Our internal facing mission is to assess diversity, equity, inclusion, justice, and belonging in the BioE department and advocate for those who encounter barriers that diminish their belonging and equitable space in the department. With this mission, the committee engages in activities and collaborations in four core areas:
- Education and Curriculum
- Inclusive Community Engagement
- Belonging in the Academic and Research Environment
- Diversity and Inclusion Considerations in Recruitment
The committee is composed of faculty, staff, and graduate and undergraduate student members. If you are interested in learning more about the committee, would like to participate, or give input, please contact any of the committee members or directly email the committee (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Through Education and Curriculum development, the Department of Bioengineering now has the Teaching Resources for Inclusive and Socially-Aware Bioengineering Canvas Repository. This initiative was led by Professor Esin Sozer during Summer 2023. Professor Sozer reviewed and verified material for all Bioengineering concentrations and created a repository for faculty to use for DEIB case studies and education.
The Department of Bioengineering is committed to learning and fostering a sense of community through holidays and traditions. Throughout the year, we have enjoyed celebrations for Nowruz, Yalda, Diwali, Eid, Chinese New Year, Passover, and Thanksgiving. We have also recognized heritage months such as National Hispanic Heritage Month and National Native American Heritage Month.
DEIB Committee Members
- Abbas Yaseen, Assistant Professor
- Ana Vargas, PhD student and Graduate Assistant
- Ashley Herrick, PhD student and Graduate Assistant
- Caroline Pridmore, Academic Operations Manager
- Esin B. Sözer, Assistant Teaching Professor, DEIB Committee Chair
- Isabela Castillo, Undergraduate student
- Kiran Vanaja, Assistant Research Professor, The Roux Institute
- Prachi Shah, Financial Operations Coordinator
- Stephanie Noble, Assistant Professor